Adult individuals

Citizens of South Africa or foreign nationals with permanent residence

Adult individuals who are citizens of South Africa or foreign nationals who are permanently resident in South Africa must supply us with these documents. If you wish to provide any third party with signing powers on your account or if you are going to provide any third party with a secondary card, these individuals will need to provide a copy of their identity document as well as their contact details.

Acceptable verification documents


  • Identity document issued by the Republic of South Africa
  • Valid passport (if foreign national)

Residential address

You can provide any one of the documents showing your name and residential address. Unless otherwise stipulated, the documents must show your full residential address and not a post box address:

  • A utility bill, such as water, electricity or rates (less than 3 months) We may accept a utility bill that are addressed to a post box number if it shows your name, erf/stand number, township and suburb
  • A bank statement or financial statement from another financial institution, ie. not within the Standard Bank Group (less than 3 months old)
  • A copy of a signed lease agreement (by both parties), (less than 1 year old)
  • A municipal rates and taxes invoice (less than 3 months old)
  • A mortgage statement from another financial institution, ie. not within the Standard Bank Group (less than 6 months old)
  • A telephone account, ie. a landline or cellphone account (less than 3 months old)
  • An official tax return/tax assessment (less than 1 year old)
  • Official correspondence from the South African Revenue Services ("SARS") (less than 3 months old)
  • A recent life insurance policy issued by an insurance company
  • Correspondence from a body corporate or shareblock association (less than 3 months old)
  • A valid television license document
  • A recent shortterm insurance policy document or a shortterm insurance renewal letter (less than 1 year old)
  • A retail account statement/invoice (less than 3 months old)
  • Where the person live in any type of residence (eg. hostel/barracks) a letter from the administration department of such residence on an official letterhead
  • A letter from a tribal chief where the person lives (only for customers who have a nett income of R5000 or less per month).

Cohabitant or spouse of a homeowner

It may be that you live with another person, such as a spouse or life partner, and your name is not reflected on any of the documents required. Proof of the relationship between you and that person must be provided together with a relevant verification document reflecting the homeowner's name and the residential address.

In the case of a husband and wife, a marriage certificate is an acceptable document to prove the relationship between the co-habitants.

In all other cases, written confirmation is required from the homeowner confirming:

  • The relationship between the co-habitants
  • The residential address that is shared
  • The name, date of birth and identity number of the person signing the written confirmation;
  • The name of the prospective customer Click here for a template you can use for this.


If you are a student residing at a student residence, hostel or boarding house and are unable to provide proof from the homeowner, a written statement from the educational institution or the residence, hostel or boarding house confirming your residence at the physical address of such residence is acceptable.


Login or Register

Select your online banking platform

Standard Bank App